Wednesday, November 9, 2011

From Blonde to Brunette


I bought this three-piece cabinet by Edward Wormley for Dunbar in May 2011. I asked my refinisher to give it a walnut stain and to polish the brass handles.




A month later the three cabinets were done, but the sliding doors were missing the flushmont handles. They were lost. I spent the next few months trying to find someone who could make new ones; without the originals it would be very costly.

So, on 1stdibs, I only posted  the drawer cabinet and the open cabinet as a pair to be divided perhaps as bedsides or put together as a small cabinet. Since I hadn’t yet paid my refinisher for the job, the pressure was on to find those handles. In the meantime, I had someone who only wanted to buy one cabinet, which would have left me with 2/3 of my investment up in smoke.


Finally, though, the handles were found and I got my full investment back. Six months later. But the Wormley piece–with all three sections–looks beautiful.